Answer must be written in ENGLISH.
Question No. 3 must be attempted only on the precis sheet (s) provided in this question paper.
The Precis sheet (s) must then be attached securely to the answer book by the candidate.
1. Write an essay in about 300 words on any one of the following : 100
(a) The predicaments of Democracy.
(b) In India when inflation rises govenance stalls.
(c) Modern world's fears about nuclear energy.
(d) Information Technology transforming the Indian Society.
(e) Inventions generate necessity.
2. Read carefully the passage below and write your answers to the questions that follow in clear, correct and concise language:
'Water is the basis of all life. Every animal and every plant contains a substantial proportion of free or combined water in its body, and no kind of physiological activity is possible in which the fluid does not play an essential part. Water is, of course, necessary for animal life. While moisture in the soil is equally imperative for the life and growth of plants and trees. Though the quantity necessary varies enormously with the species. The conservation and utilisation of water is thus fundamental for human welfare. Apart from artesian water the ulimate source in all cases is rain or snowfall. Much of Indian Agriculture depends on seasonal rainfall and is therefore very sensitive to any failure or irregularity of the same. It is clear that the adoption of techniques preventing soil erosion would also help to conserve and keep the water where it is wanted. In other words, on and in the soil, and such techniques therefore serve a double purpose. Its is evident, however that in a country having only a seasonal rainfall an immense quantity of rain-water must be necessarily run off the ground. The collection and utilization of water is therefore of vital importance. Much of it flows down into the streams and rivers and ultimately finds its way to the sea. The harnessing of our rivers. the waters of which now mostly run to waste is a great national problem which must be considered and dealt with on national lines. Closely connected with the conservation of water supplies is the problem of afforestation. The systematic planning of suitable trees in every possible or even in impossible areas and the developement of what one can call civilized forests as distinguished from wild and untamed jungle is one the most urgent needs of India. Such plantation would directly and indirectly prove a source of untold wealth to the country. They would check soil erosion and conserve the rainfall of the country from flowing away to waste and would provide the necessary supplies of cheap fuel and thus stop unnecessary waste of farmyard manure.
2. What is the national problem relating to our rivers ?
3. What are the benefits of afforestation ?
4. What is fundamental for human welfare ?
5. What are the advantages of preventing soil erosion ?
3. Make a precis of the following passage in about 204 words. It is not necessary to suggest a title. Failure to write within the word limit may result in deduction of marks. The precis must be written on seprate precis sheets provided, which must then be fastened securely inside the answer book. 75
'While all the religious teachers tell us that compassion gives us a motive for existence, a guide for action and a reason for courage and help us to diminish the sum of human suffering, in the very name of God, who is all compassion, abominable crimes have been committed in the world. It is not enough to believe in God of love but we must love. The rains that makes the lower plains fertile are formed in the upper layers of the atmosphere.
The saints are the masters who are not stained-glass figures, remote and ethereal in their sancity. There is nothing in them, which we would like to spread everywhere in the world. It is there but what it is, we cannot say. It is there in their blood and bones, in the breath of their speech, in the lights and shades of their speech, in the lights and shades of their personalities, a mystery that can be lived but no spoken in words.
On the rock of moral law and not on the shifting sands of political or economic expediency can be built a civilized society with individual freedom, social justice and political equality. Truth, freedom and righteousness are essential to peace. The Evangelist tells us how 'the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them. And saith unto him, 'All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me'. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan; for it is written, Thou shalt worship thy Lord, Thy God and Him alone shalt thou serve'.
In the new society we need a new universal religion. By it we mean not a uniform religion but a religion of awareness and love of wisdom and compassion, prajna and karuna. of truth and love. Religion must be cured of their provincialism and made to reveal their universality. This does not mean spiritual vagueness or ambiguity.
Tolerance implies an elementary right belonging to the dignity of every man. The right to believe like the right to live a free, unfettered ----is fundamental to the concept of both----we have had in our country peaceful co-existence of different religions. It is not passive co-existence but an active fellowship, a close inter-relation of the best of different religions.
Co-existence is the first step and fraternity is the goal. We have not adhered steadfastly to these ideals and have suffered often. Yet the ideal has been kept in view and support by great leaders like Ram Mohan Roy, Ramakrishna, Tagore and Gandhiji.
The view of tolerance is based on the conviction that all transcendental use of the logical categories, all attempt to submit the transcendent to the finite are wrong. Nature and history announce God's presence but do not disclose his whole nature. Religions are cut off from one another by mutual incomprehensiveness. We are born or trained in certain traditions of religion.
Loyalty to tradition does not mean imprisonment within it. We adopt different symbolic representations of the supreme determined by our age, circumstances, upbringing and by narrower loyalties of caste, class, race or nation. Whatever progress we make at the expense of those values is morally wrong.
The seers of all religions affirm that the various peoples of the world form a community with a common purpose and a common destiny. It is said that the whole world is the fatherland of a noble soul. The application of this universality of spirit requires us to look upon our common enemies not as monsters of evil but as misled by their obsessions and as capable of change.
4. (a) Rewrite the following sentences after making necessary corrections : 10
1. Saints desire nothing________the society.
2. I regret at the delay in doing this.
3. I congratulate you for your success.
4. Ram as well as Mohan have gone.
5. He has passed order on my application.
6. He is more intelligent than any boy.
7. What will be ensued on this.
8. This is high time that we should change the bike.
9. I did nothing but laughed.
10. I informed him, "Leave the room."
(b) Supply the missing words :
1. The wages of sin ______death. 5
2. I trust______God.
3. I have no fondness_____music.
4. I have no doubt_____your honesty.
5. I am Conscious______my duties.
(c) Use the correct forms of the verbs in brackets : 5
1. I remember ______her when she was a little girl. (SEE)
2. You will ______twenty-four hours to consider your decision. (GIVE)
3. Can you hear what he_____? (SAY)
(d) Write the opposites of the following : 5
5. Answer as directed :
(a) Rewrite the following sentences removing 'too........to'. 5
1. He is too honest to steal.
2. He is too weak to run.
3. She is too shy to sing.
4. He was too shocked to speak.
5. The matter will be too complicated to resolve.
(b) Rewrite the following sentences using 'It' in the beginning as a subject.
1. To scold the boys would be foolish.
2. Smoking is bad for him.
3. To call after ten was unusual for him.
4. Keeping the windows open on the roadside does not look decent.
5. To play games on sundays is not allowed.